Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm sorry, what now???


I had lunch with one of my friends who I hadn’t seen in a long while the other day, she’s more like my slightly older sister than a friend, she’s not afraid to keep it real with me even when she knows it’s going to hurt. We’ll call her M.
We were talking about anything under the sun, hook –ups, break – ups etc, when I got a text from one of the girls from my usual circle “it’s J’s birthday tomorrow, you should totally make it a special one for him ;)”.my expression changed and I threw my phone back in my bag. “What’s up?” asked M.

Now, in order for this story to make sense, I have to take y’all back in time a little bit.
J is the guy I’m moping about most of the time; we had a thing ages ago and it’s never really ended. He’s good friends with S’s boyfriend, the guy from the pool incident in Coast. So ever since S and F sorted out their love lives, they’ve kinda been pushing every Tom, Dick and Harry on me…
And we’re back…


M looked at the text, shrugged her shoulders, “So for how long have you been their Pity Project?”
“What??”
“You know what I’m talking about babe, they’re always trying to pimp you out, making you look like you’re desperate and shit.”
“Come on, you know it’s not like that,” I said in defense of my friends
“They make it look like you have a problem being single when it’s them that do”
You know that moment when you get smacked in the face with a universe sixed dose of reality? That was it. She had hit the proverbial nail on the head (I hate these cliché expressions that the Kenyan media overuse but I’m sorry, I had to indulge =P hehe). That’s why I’d been feeling off about hanging out with them, they’ve made me their Pity Project. Apparently their lives are all perfect and they feel the need to give back by helping their friend who is too lame to score a boyfriend off her own. WHAT THE FUCK???
“It’s either that or they’re uncomfortable with having a single friend hanging around them and their boyfriends.”
“Yeah, I get it M,” I said as I signaled the bartender that I was ready for my next shot.
Women, humph, I’m not sure where they get off deciding that I’m lonely or incapable of finding myself a significant other. And are we really friends if you can’t trust me around your boyfriends who by the way are not even close to my type?? Argh, I’m still so annoyed by all this! I just feel so…… misunderstood… and…. Pitied.. yuck!!
In case you’re wondering, I didn’t make J’s birthday a “special one ;)”, I turned my phone off for the whole weekend and hung out with the boys; at least they won’t try to hook me up with every cute guy they see =P

2 comments:

  1. and what, exactly would have made it a "special" one in your friends' sense of the word...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. birthday sex no doubt, they're virtually pimping me out,lol

    ReplyDelete