Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Spice and Cigarettes

When I was younger and my brother and I used to fight, you wouldn’t step in no matter how much I whined; you taught me to stand up for myself.
When I was learning how to ride a bike, you took the training wheels off before I was ready; you taught me that life wasn’t easy, and you taught me to be ready for anything.
When I did something wrong, you spanked me; you taught me right from wrong.
When I did something right, you encouraged me; you taught me the value of hard work.
When I saw you with your friends and even with total strangers, you taught me how to treat people; with respect and caring.
When you left, you taught me that love hurts.
When you came back and tried to make things right, you taught me that love can also heal.

Then, before I knew it, you were gone and there was nothing else you could teach me... All I had was the lingering smell of Old Spice and cigarettes… and the hope that we will one day see each other again.
R.I.P Dad, love you always.

[listening to: Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross]

2 comments:

  1. Really sweet...and sorry for your loss...losing someone who you love is always hard.

    ReplyDelete